“I couldn't live a week without a private library
- indeed, I'd part with all my furniture and squat and sleep on the floor
before I'd let go of the 1500 or so books I possess.” ― H.P. Lovecraft

Thursday, November 25, 2004

casablanca
"You must remember this, a kiss is still a kiss".
Your romance is Casablanca.

A classic story of love in trying times, chock full of both cynicism and hope. You obviously believe in true love, but you're also constantly aware of practicality and societal expectations. That's not always fun, but at least it's realistic. Try not to let the Nazis get you down too much.

What Romance Movie Best Represents Your Love Life?
brought to you by Quizilla

Ruthlessly stolen from Skippy's Blog.

Who'd have figured? I'd have thought my love life would have been more comperable to Beavis and Butthead Do America, but that wasn't an option on the quiz.

Casablanca is one of my all-time, top-ten favorite movies. If you haven't seen it there's something serriously wrong with you.

So anyways, I went out to my Grandmother's house for Thanksgiving dinner. As usual, the food was incredible. The after dinner conversation however left something to be desired.

See, everyone is concerned about my health and apparently they've decided that badgering me about every little thing is the solution.

I guess it was that or gather in a circle and poke me with sharp sticks.

I'm not sure which I'd enjoy more.

Everyone agrees that I need to exerscise more, including myself, but nobody will conscede that this little hernia problem might make that difficult. Apparently, I don't excerscise because I'm lazy and I just don't want to.

I have to admit there's some truth to that.

But despite the fact that I don't want to exerscise, I would do it if I were capable of getting out of bed and walking down the staris without needing to stop for a rest afterward.

My Mom thinks I could run a marathon if I wanted to and I'm just being lazy to spite her for having given birth to me.

I have to admit there's some truth to that too.

My Mom has this infuriating habit of believing in me to a degree that I could never possibly live up to. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have someone believe in me, but let's be realistic about it.

She also gets it in her head that stupidly repetitive actions are good for me and they'll absloutely help me if only I'd give in and do them. Tonights repetitive action was walking up and down my stairs.

I explained to her that I walk up and down my stairs several times a day. She insists that if I do it twice back to back once a day it'll cure all my ills.

Yeah, I'm not kidding.

So I give in and tell her I'll do it just to shut her up, but she won't let it go.

Then she launches into how 17 years ago she tried to get me to go for a daily two mile walk and every time we've been in the same room for the last 17 years she's brought it up.

So because of little things like that I ended up where I allways end up, in the kitchen with my Uncle Paul.

I don't have a lot left in the way of adult male role models anymore so it's cool to hang out with Paul every once in a while.

Today we discussed the new DVD release of Rambo: First Blood. Nate just picked it up last night for like $14. It's a pretty good movie and while the latter two Rambo films were born for parody, the original still holds up.

I wasn't sure how Paul felt about the movie seeing as he's a Nam veteran, but he's a fan too.

Paul also doesn't give me any shit about my health and recovery. I chalk this up to the fact that he's a man and the fact that he went through similar gastrointestinal problems when he took shrapnel in Nam.

Anyways, I've bitched enough.

Happy fucking Thanksgiving everyone.

Before I go off and NOT walk up and down my fucking stairs I'll leave you with some Thanksgiving trivia from TJ & the Girls.

==================.
Americans consume more than 353 million pounds of turkey during National Turkey Lovers' Month in June. By comparison, more than 675 million pounds of turkey will be consumed at Thanksgiving.
===============.
Native to the Mediterranean area, sage has been used for centuries in cooking, particularly as the main herb in present day Thanksgiving turkey stuffing. It is also considered a healing herb. A tea made with sage is especially useful as a mouth rinse and gargle for mouth sores, ulcers, and sore throats. It may also be used as a digestive aid.
===============.
The Indians of the eastern United States had a particular liking for meats served with fruit sauces. The ripening of cranberries and the Thanksgiving holiday coincide, which is one reason why cranberry relish is traditionally served with roast turkey.
=================.
Large balloons first appeared in Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in 1927, and Felix the Cat was the first character featured. For a short time, there was a tradition of releasing the balloons when the parade was over. They'd float for days and the lucky finders could claim a prize.
===================.
Right behind Christmas and Thanksgiving, Super Bowl Sunday ranks as the third-largest occasion for Americans to consume food, according to the National Football League.
=================.
The first Thanksgiving celebration was held in 1621.
=======================.
"Jingle Bells," a popular Christmas song, was actually written for Thanksgiving. The song was composed in 1857, by James Pierpont, and was originally called "One Horse Open Sleigh".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home