“I couldn't live a week without a private library
- indeed, I'd part with all my furniture and squat and sleep on the floor
before I'd let go of the 1500 or so books I possess.” ― H.P. Lovecraft

Wednesday, February 11, 2004

Happy the man, and happy he alone,
He, who can call today his own;
He, who secure within, can say,
Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today.
Be fair or foul, or rain, or shine
The joys I have possessed, in spite of fate, are mine.
Not heaven itself upon the past has power;
But what has been, has been, and I have had my hour.


-Horace, Odes III, 29.41


I've always liked that verse, though it's a little more positive than the stuff I'm usually into. Sure it's about a guy facing an uncertain future or possibly his own mortality, but it has a certain "Fuck you, I'm not going out like that bey-otch!" quality to it that I love. I bet that's what Horace had in mind too. Drinkin' a 40, swingin' a gat and writing some muthafuckin' odes, punk-fool!

Anyways, (God I need to move out of the ghetto) I posted it because I'm feeling rather positive today. I'm still basking in the glow of my freshly fixed car, I managed to fix my washing machine myself for only 20 bucks, I found out that my stocks are worth more than I thought so I actually DO have enough to get my surgery done if I can just schedule it, I actually managed to get my car inspected, despite my fucking car window STILL being fucking frozen in the fucking down position, and I have a stiffy from watching Natalie Portman's fine ass in Star Wars: Episode II again.

Life is good.

Of course, I'm damn near 30, I'm single, my credit is shit, I live in the ghetto, I'm going to have to spend all of my savings to fix my body back to simply being it's worthless old self, my fucking car window is STILL fucking frozen in the fucking down position, AND for every shot of Natalie Portman's beautifully bared midriff I get an equal part of C3PO's brassy, gay, ass. (Not that I have a problem with gay robots, I just don't swing that way).

I've changed my mind. Life really blows.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home