“I couldn't live a week without a private library
- indeed, I'd part with all my furniture and squat and sleep on the floor
before I'd let go of the 1500 or so books I possess.” ― H.P. Lovecraft

Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Summer Movie Review Time!

Have you seen the ad’s for the movie ‘White Chicks’?

I post on the Internet Movie Database and I’ve noticed there are a lot of people upset about this movie because of ‘reverse discrimination’.

Now, first off, I’d like to point out that there is no such thing as ‘reverse discrimination’. The idea that black people offending white people is ‘reverse’ implies that all discrimination comes from white people and anything else is counter to that.

As a white guy, and a rather progressive one at that, I kinda chafe at that notion.

Discrimination is a concept that all of humanity shares equally. It’s one of the things that makes us all so interesting and violent.

But what really bothers me about this argument is that in concentrating on the racial inequity of it, as imagined as it may be, we lose sight of one very important fact:

This movie is just going to suck.

See, my problems with the movie have nothing to do with race.

They have everything to do with the trailer making it look very, very BAD.

First of all, Marlon and Shawn Wayans are not funny. Daymon and Keenan (in that order) are funny. Marlon and Shawn are just riding coat-tails and should be ashamed of themselves.

But putting that aside, I guess by the title they're supposed to look like white chicks. Well they don't. They look like burn victims.

I also understand that they're supposed to stick out, that's where the humor is generated, I get it, but it's too much. This is due to the double entendre of crappy writing and lack of acting talent on the part of the two Wayans's in question. Keenan, you should be ashamed that you had any part in this, but I guess that’s what happens when your last good movie was the first thing people remember seeing Chris Rock in outside of SNL.

Apart from that, it's your standard black-meets-white comedy. It even has the obligitory 'listening to the radio' scene in which it's shown that all white people like one kind of music and all black people like hip-hop. How many times do we have to see that?

It looks like that’s about as far away from the cliché tree as this movie turd is going to fall.

I haven't seen it yet, and I don't plan to, but I'll bet you all a dollar that someone learns a lesson about how thier respective other race lives, and/or they all end up in a dance-off with someone possibly getting 'served'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home