“I couldn't live a week without a private library
- indeed, I'd part with all my furniture and squat and sleep on the floor
before I'd let go of the 1500 or so books I possess.” ― H.P. Lovecraft

Friday, November 07, 2008

You know that thing where I need to do something, but before I can do that thing it turns out I have to do a second thing, but that second thing can't possibly be done till I get the first thing done?

It's called a Catch 22 and it's the story of my fucking life.

See, I found the perfect apartment in Columbus. A 2-bedroom for less than I've seen some of the efficiencies going for. I can easily afford it on what I'll be getting from disability when it's adjusted for me paying rent. Problem is, the apartment people don't feel that I make enough money to rent their apartment right now.

This is because, since I'm living in my Grandmother's house and not paying rent I'm getting less than the full amount from SSD. As I tried to explain to them once I move I WILL have enough money, because when I start paying rent I'll get the full disability benefit. It's the way disability works. In fact, the disability people said that no landlord should have a problem with this and if they do all they have to do is call the local disability people and they'll explain it. Unfortunately the apartment people don't wanna call the disability people. No, they want a letter from my Mom saying that she's been helping me financially.

I'm 34 years old and I can't rent their apartment without a note from my Mom.

Well Mom doesn't want to write that letter because she's afraid that if she puts it in writing that she occasionally helps me out then disability will use that as an excuse to stop helping me themselves and
I must admit it's a valid concern.

Ironically, part of the point of moving is that once I move and disability adjusts I won't need Mom to help me.

So here's where we are:

I want to move to Columbus to use my medicaid benefits to get surgery to get off of medicaid and go back to work.

I found the perfect apartment and even a potential roommate, but the apartment people say I don't have enough money.

To get the money I need to move, but I can't move without the money.

If Mom writes the letter so I can move then I could lose my health insurance (and with it the money from which I'd be paying the rent on the apartment) and if I lose my health insurance I can't get my surgery done.

If I can't get my surgery done then that eliminates the main reason for moving.

And no, I'm not missing the obvious solution of simply starting to pay my Grandmother rent. It's just that God only knows when they'll finally fix things with the disability. Probably not till at LEAST next month, and the apartment people want to see proof of TWO payments. Even if I wait that long to get the proof they want odds are the apartment will be gone.

Plus, I'd hate to potentially mess up Grandma's medicare by suddenly giving her an income upon which she'd have to file a tax return, not to mention that she'd probably have to file an assload of paperwork with the city. It's not that I have a problem with giving her money, it's just that I don't want to put her in the same boat I'm in.

Fuck it. I'm gonna go get a few hours sleep.

Labels: , ,


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home