“I couldn't live a week without a private library
- indeed, I'd part with all my furniture and squat and sleep on the floor
before I'd let go of the 1500 or so books I possess.” ― H.P. Lovecraft

Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Now the revenue man wanted grandaddy bad
He headed up the holler with everything he had
It's before my time but I've been told
He never came back from copperhead road...


Steve Earle - Copperhead Road


So on the advice of Outpatient and Skippy I checked out Steve Earle and as I suspected he's pretty cool. I had a feeling he would be as Skippy, despite the handicap of being a Nirvana fan, has pretty good taste in music.

Not that I'm knocking Outpatient's musical tastes, It's just that I don't really know what they are. Steve Earle gives him some credibility in my book though.

Anyways, now I have a good name for the road that runs across the farm property I mentioned last post. I'll have to paint a sign before I go back down there on Wednesday.

Speaking of which, if anyone wants to go down there it looks like I'll be spending quite a bit of time down there in the future (Especially now that I've taken a few notes from Steve Earle). It really is pretty bad-ass. Just contact me for details.

Besides, I might as well spend some time down there as I guess I'm now officially a farmer. Yesterday I planted eight tomato plants in my backyard. Four Roma, two regular red and two yellow.

I've worked in gardens my whole life, as most of my older family members keep them, but this is my first real stab at growing anything on my own. It should prove to be an adventure as I've killed pretty much every plant that's ever been left in my care. Yes, even cacti. Plants, even ones that can exist in conditions that I could not, are unsafe in my care.

I've been spoiled by the family grown tomatoes I've had over my lifetime. The ones you buy in the store just have no flavor to me at all. So I'm growing my own. Luckily, I have this pamphlet:

So, yer farmin'?
Pamphlet 1: Tomatoes

Step One: Plant tomatoes (henceforth to be refered to as "t'maters" or simply "'maters".)

Step Two: Place liberal ammount of 'Red Man' or other tobacco product between teeth and gums.

Step Three: Spit residue at bankers, revinue officials, politicians, etc.

Step Four: Complain about undue Government intrusion into your affairs.

Step Five: Inquire daily as to the whereabouts of your federal bailout check.

Repeat steps as necessary.


I may just have the stuff for this lifestyle after all. Maybe next year I'll plant some 'taters. Mmm-hmmm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home